In the Hollywood scene filled with one-hit-wonders and celebrity washouts, we’re always looking for those rare gems that will stand the test of time. A star who will impress us year after year in a variety of roles. In essence these are our picks for the next Matt Damon, Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts.
- Robert Pattinson: For some, the British star makes this list because of his role in the Twilight Saga and for others that should have kept him off of it. But no matter which side of the aisle you’re on, we’re seeing more and more that there is more than one dimension to Pattinson. Impressive performances in Remember Me and Little Ashes suggest that there may be a long, standout career ahead for this 24-year old actor.
- Ellen Page: The earlier days of Page’s career included a few memorable roles such as Juno and Whip It, but nothing of any long-lasting significance. However, this year’s summer hit, Inception, may prove to be the career boost to superstardom that this Canadian actress has been waiting for.
- Michael Cera: The number of films in Cera’s repertoire seems to be growing by the day. The question remains whether or not he can step out of this same, type-casted role he plays in film after film. Though he makes for an adorable funny man, it’s rare to see a top-quality star who is limited to one genre.
- Dakota Fanning: Unlike most child stars, Fanning has avoided any long lapse away from the big screen despite the inevitable awkward stage any kid goes through. The 16-year-old actress has impressed movie-goers since she was a young child, and as she enters the heart of her teen years, we’ll be watching closely, and cheering hard, for Fanning to make the transition to adult superstar.
- Shia LaBeouf: At the beginning of his career, LaBeouf was immersed in his role on the Disney show Even Stevens. Because of this, many movie critics wrote him off as a one hit wonder, child star. However, upcoming roles of a much more mature and serious nature such as Jacob Moore in Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps may thrust LaBeouf back into the celebrity ring, only this time as a talented, 24-year-old leading man.